WELCOME TO O. HENRY MIDDLE SCHOOL
Linked to PDF
The entire O. Henry Middle School staff is very excited to start the new school year and welcome students to the O. Henry Middle School Mustang Nation! We are looking forward to all of the academic and extracurricular opportunities and programs that the school year brings.
This document should provide most of the information a student will need prior to the first day of school, but please don’t hesitate to contact the O. Henry Middle School main office at 512-414-3229 if you have additional questions.
We look forward to seeing everyone on the first day of school!
First Day of School: 8:20 am-3:40 pm, Tuesday, August 20th
Student Arrival and Departure:
- Parent drop-off/pick-up - Traffic will be VERY heavy the first couple weeks of school. If possible in the first days, consider carpooling with a friend or neighbor. Drop off is on the 2-way street of West 10th in front of the school. Please do not park in the staff parking lot as this blocks our special needs buses from departing and is dangerous for our students exiting the building.
- Bus Transportation - Busses will drop off students in the morning at the back of the school on Wayside Drive. Students exiting the busses must walk on the sidewalk to the front of the school on West 10th street and enter the campus through one of the two front entrance doors. Buses will be staged around the perimeter at the back of the campus at the end of the day.
Use the link here to find your student’s bus stop.
Bell Schedule on the First Day of School:
8:20-12:40 Students in their ACES classes
6th grade lunch: 10:55-11:25
7th grade lunch: 11:30-12:00
8th grade lunch: 12:05-12:40
12:45-3:20 Students will follow their periods 1-8 schedule
3:25-3:40 Return to ACES for dismissal
O. Henry Bell Schedule:
Bell Schedule can also be found on our web page
AISD School Calendar
Schedule Upon Arrival on the First Day of School:
· Navigating the campus - Staff members and signs will be directing students as they arrive on campus. Detailed campus maps will be posted and distributed to students as they arrive.
· Report to ACES Advisory - All students will report to their Advisory class by 8:20am. Students will find their ACES Advisory class by checking the rosters posted in the front of the school on the cafeteria windows. Students can also log in TEAMS through their AISD Student Cloud account at my.austinisd.org to find their Advisory teacher and classroom location (default username = Capital S + Student ID, default password = Capital of Last Name + 6 digit birthdate + lowercase “s”)
· Class Schedules - Students will pick-up their official schedule in their ACES Advisory class. Per AISD policy, students who do NOT attend ACES Advisory and pick up the official hard copy of their schedule will be considered “no shows” and subsequently withdrawn, requiring students to go to the office and “re-enroll” in order to attend classes. To be admitted to their class each period, students will be asked to show their official hard-copy schedule.
IMPORTANT NOTE - The schedule that appears in TEAMS prior to the first day of school is unofficial! The class periods, room numbers, and teachers may change multiple times and at the last minute due to the balancing of class sizes, new student registration, and for other reasons. Students will receive their official schedules in their ACES Advisory class. Students do NOT need to print and should NOT follow the unofficial schedule from TEAMS.
· What to wear and what to bring: Because the hallways at O. Henry Middle School are not climate-controlled and because HVAC repairs are currently being completed, students should be prepared for warm temperatures.
Know what to wear to school with the NEW AISD Dress Code Policy. We will be reviewing this with our students on the first day of school.
School Supply List Students do not need to bring school supplies until the second day of school. Notebook paper or a spiral and pen/pencil is adequate for the first few days of school. This list can also be found on our web page.
· The student body is divided into three lunches. Lunch is determined by their 5th period class on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday AND their 6th period class on Thursday. In most cases 8th graders have A lunch, 7th graders have B lunch, and 6th graders have C lunch. In some cases 8th and 7th graders may have a mixed lunch based on their unique elective.
· Student lunch costs $2.85, and the lines may be longer the first few days of school.
· Students are invited to eat in the cafeteria. On Friday’s, weather permitting and with adequate supervision, students are invited to eat on the front lawn and picnic tables. After the first 15 minutes of lunch, students with a library pass are permitted to go to the library. All students requesting lunch tutorials must have a pass from the requesting teacher in order to leave the cafeteria.
· Lunch accounts - Parents can create or manage their student’s lunch account through www.schoolcafe.com, or by downloading the SchoolCafé mobile application, available on Apple and Android devices. Through SchoolCafé, parents can make payments, view purchase history, receive low balance alerts, apply for free or reduced price meals and view school menus.
Parent To-Do Items:
- Read over the 2019-2020 Parent and Student Handbook with your child. Please read over the Cell Phone Use Contract and our section in the student handbook.
- Please consider completing the Free or Reduced-Priced Meals application (hard-copy available in the O. Henry Middle School main office). Return the forms to school with your student to turn-in to either the Advisory teacher or the main office. If you think there is a chance your family may qualify, please take a few minutes to complete the form.
- Set-up your own AISD Parent Cloud account (using your student’s cloud login information will prevent you from accessing important parent resources and information). The AISD Parent Cloud is used to check your student’s attendance and grades, set your contact preferences, access your child’s course information in BLEND, submit the Chromebook consent form (8th grade), and more.